Posted: 14 October, 2016
by Footy Newsroom
Players Who Were Traded For Less Than Pick 88
Not a star-studded list.
Sam Mitchell was today traded from Hawthorn to West Coast for the paltry pick 88.
A couple of minor pick swaps were tied in - Hawthorn upgraded pick 54 and pick 72 to pick 52 and pick 70.
But the effective swap of Mitchell for pick 88 makes it one of the lowest in recent memory.
On only three occasions in the last 24 years has a player been traded for less.
Mitchell also joins Cale Morton, Lewis Stevenson and David Rodan in being traded for pick 88 in their career - all three were involved in a roundabout for the selection back in 2012.
We're guessing this won't sit on top of Mitchell's honour roll.
Players traded for less than pick 88:
- 1988: Mark O'Donoghue (North Melbourne) for pick 92 (Sydney)
- 1989: Michael Scott (Geelong) for pick 113 (Melbourne)
- 1990: Rod Owen (St Kilda) for pick 91 (Melbourne)
- 1990: Ian Dargie (St Kilda) for pick 92 (West Coast)
- 1992: Dean McRae (North Melbourne) for pick 110 (Sydney)
- 1992: Dion Scott (Sydney) for pick 111 (Brisbane Bears
- 1992: Adrian Campbell (Western Bulldogs) for pick 114 (Melbourne)
- 1992: Tim Allen (St Kilda) for pick 119 (Hawthorn)
- 1992: Dean Anderson and Chris Wittman (Hawthorn) for pick 121 (St Kilda)
- 1992: Luke Beveridge (Melbourne) for pick 122 (Western Bulldogs)
- 1992: Liam Pickering, Darren Steele and Leigh Tudor (North Melbourne) for pick 123 (Geelong)
- 2007: Steven King and Charlie Gardiner (Geelong) for pick 90 (St Kilda)
- 2007: Ben Davies (Collingwood) for pick 96 (North Melbourne)
- 2015: Jack Fitzpatrick (Melbourne) for pick 94 (Hawthorn)