One of the NRL's best talent spotters, Sydney Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, has had his registration cancelled over his links to controversial betting identity Eddie Hayson.
The NRL on Tuesday rubbed O'Sullivan out of the game after rejecting his submission following an integrity unit probe into whether he was a "fit and proper" person.
"The NRL has considered Mr O'Sullivan's response and determined that his registration will be cancelled, taking effect immediately," an NRL spokesman said.
O'Sullivan, who was responsible for uncovering Greg Inglis, Israel Folau and Latrell Mitchell, was stood down in August after details of his relationship with Hayson emerged.
It's alleged $750,000 worth of transactions between Hayson and O'Sullivan over a 10-year period were uncovered. See the tweet below.
Hayson is the subject of a police investigation into alleged match fixing in the NRL.
There is no suggestion O'Sullivan was involved in neither match fixing nor betting on NRL matches however the NRL considered their relationship to be inappropriate.
Despite being stood down in August, O'Sullivan was spotted celebrating in the ANZ Stadium grandstand near the Roosters bench following the club's Under-20s Cup grand final win earlier this month.
O'Sullivan came to the Roosters in 2008 from Melbourne where he was head of recruitment during the height of the Storm salary cap scandal.
O'Sullivan was cast as a key figure in the saga but escaped sanction.
Then NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert found evidence he had deliberately concealed the true amount paid to players.
However former NRL CEO David Gallop said it was only legal advice that prevented him from being sacked from the Roosters.
NRL Official Statement
The NRL said today it has cancelled the registration of Sydney Roosters official, Peter O’Sullivan.
A spokesman said Mr O’Sullivan had been given the opportunity to respond to a Notice of Intention to Cancel his Registration in August.
“The NRL has considered Mr O’Sullivan’s response and determined that his registration will be cancelled, taking effect immediately,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman said the NRL would not be commenting further on the matter.