Posted: 16 October, 2016 by Stuff

American Chilli Challenge Ends In A Torn Oesophagus

Don't try this at home

An American bloke has been left with a 2.5cm hole in his oesophagus and a 23 day hospital stint after attempting to take on the world’s second hottest chilli.

The man was eating a hamburger laced with puree of ghost pepper, a notoriously incredibly spicy chilli.

Ghost peppers — recently usurped as the hottest chilli in the world by the Carolina Reaper — are more than twice as strong as habeneros, registering more than a million Scoville heat units.

After eating his burger the man rocked up to hospital with severe abdominal pain, which is where doctors discovered the huge hole.

He had to undergo emergency surgery which forced the hospital stay.

The moral of the story? Stay the bloody hell away from Ghost Peppers.

To Read Next