toggle menu
Live: 2GO 107.7 Central Coast
 
Listen live

Melbourne Siege Gunman Previously Faced Court Over Terror Plot

Reportedly on parole

Melbourne Siege Gunman Previously Faced Court Over Terror Plot

Pic: Yacqub Khayre outside court in 2010. Credit: AAP

The man believed to be responsible for yesterday's deadly siege in Melbourne, that left two dead and three police injured, had reportedly previously faced court over an Islamic terror plot.

Yacqub Khayre was charged and fronted court over a plan to launch a suicide attack on Sydney's Holsworthy army barracks in 2009, and was later acquitted according to News Corp.

Three special operations officers were shot in the siege, in Melbourne's affluent suburb of Brighton.

The ordeal started around 4pm Monday, when police attended reports of an explosion at the Buckingham Services Apartments in Bay Street, and found a body in the foyer of the building.

Police brought to an end the stand off by shooting dead a man behind the two-hour siege with one hostage at around 6pm.

Two police are in hospital, one treated at the scene, none of the injuries are life threatening and they are expected to make a full recovery.

While the hostage is also safe.

Khayre was also behind a terrifying home invasion that saw him jailed for at least three years.

He apparently carried out a seriously violent act on a young woman, before punching and headbutting her father.

It's believed he was out on parole yesterday when this incident at Brighton took place.

The state government and police are treating the siege as a terrorism incident.

The man also called the Channel Seven newsroom, with Nicole telling us a woman first spoke to her.

"Then a man's voice sort of in the background came on and he said 'this is the Brighton hostage,'" she said.

"He then said really calmly this is for IS, this is for Al-Qaeda."

;