toggle menu
Live: 2GO 107.7 Central Coast
 
Listen live

PM Confirms Melbourne Siege Gunman Had Links To Violent Extremism

Parole Back Under Spotlight

PM Confirms Melbourne Siege Gunman Had Links To Violent Extremism

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has just confirmed the man at the center of a deadly shoot-out with police in Melbourne had a long record of violence and had been charged with terror offences in the past.

"There are some very, very grave questions. And I have raised these today with the Victorian premier whom I called last night and called again this morning. How was this man on parole?

"He had a long record of violence. A very long record of violence. A very long record of violence. He had been charged with the terrorist offence some years ago and had been acquitted. He was known to have connections, at least in the past, with violent extremism"

The PM went on to describe the incident as shocking and cowardly, the attack which left one innocent bystander dead and three police officers injured.

The prime minister said authorities would continue to defy and defeat terror threats.

"It is a terrorist attack and it underlines the need for us to be constantly vigilant, never to be deterred, always defiant, in the face of
Islamist terrorism," he told reporters in Canberra on Tuesday.

;